Contacts, Presence, and IM
Want to shut your virtual office door?
Presence is automatically set based on your Outlook calendar but you can change it temporarily if you want to. Presence status is a quick way for other people see whether or not you’re free to chat. Here are the presence settings you can change:
Which Skype should I use?
Skype for Business is for connecting with a co-worker or business associate.
Skype is for connecting with your grandma, or chatting with friends while gaming.
Add a Contact:
Once you find a person, add them to your Contacts list for quick access.
- Right-click the name in the search results.
- Click Add to Contact List.
- Pick a group to add your new contact to.
View a Contact Card:
- Tap a contact picture.
- Tap the Contact Card button to open Contact Card.
Create a Group:
Set up a group for each team you work with so you quickly see who’s available, or communicate with the entire team at once.
- Click the Add a Contact button.
- Select Create a New Group.
- Begin typing your new group name.
Send an Instant Message (IM):
Use instant messaging (IM) to touch base with your contacts right away.
- In your Contacts list, point to the contact you want to IM. If you want to IM with more than one contact, hold down the Ctrl key and click each contact name.
- Click the IM button.
- Type your message and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
Need to add someone to the IM?
From the main Skype for Business window, drag a contact pic onto the IM window.
Add Audio, Video and share files in an IM conversation:
Switch Between Conversations:
If you have several conversations or meetings going on at the same time, Skype for Business displays them all in one place, so you can toggle between them. Click a tab on the left to view an IM conversation.
Find a Previous IM Conversation:
If you use Outlook and Exchange, Skype for Business automatically saves your IM conversation history. To view or continue a previous IM conversation or see an IM request you missed:
- Click the Conversations tab.
- Click the All or Missed tab. If you don’t see the conversation you’re looking for, click View More in Outlook at the bottom of the list.
- Double-click the conversation that you want to open.