Starting a Microsoft Office for Windows application in Office Safe Mode can allow you to safely use it when it has encountered certain problems. This is useful when you need to open a file that you can't under normal mode because the application is crashing or if you need help in identifying an add-in or extension that may be causing a problem on startup.
Via Short Cut
This method works on most versions of Office running Windows
Find the shortcut icon for your Office application.
Press and hold the CTRL key and double-click the application shortcut.
Click Yes when a window appears asking if you want to start the application in Safe Mode.
Via Run Command
- In windows click start and go to run or search for run.
- In the Run box, type one of these commands:
- For Excel: Type excel /safe, and click OK.
- For Outlook: Type outlook /safe, and click OK.
- For Word: Type winword /safe, and click OK.
- For PowerPoint: Type powerpnt /safe, and click OK.
- For Publisher: Type mspub /safe, and click OK.
- For Visio: Type visio /safe, and click OK.