The steps below explain the process to convert from Hosted voicemail to the voicemail option provided by Office365’s Exchange Online.
- Exchange Online Plan 2 or Office 365 bundle that includes Exchange Online Plan
- Enable voicemail support in your Office 365 admin portal.
- Notify Skype for Business host that you would like to switch to Office 365 Exchange Online voicemail.
Creating a Dial Plan
These steps create the dial plan, configure Voice Access and the Auto Attendant. You will need to work with your Skype for Business host to obtain DID (phone numbers) for the auto attendant and subscriber access.
- Voice Access/Subscriber Access/Outlook Voice Number: Skype for Business host will supply this number
- Auto Attendant Number: Skype for Business host will provide this number
- Your onmicrosoft domain name. Office 365 creates a domain for you, like contoso.onmicrosoft.com, when you sign up with their service
Setup Exchange Online
- Login to Exchange Online as an admin
- In the navigation pane on the left, click on Unified Messaging
- UM dial plans should be selected in the tab at the top of the screen
- Click the + sign to create a new dial plan
- Enter the following information for the dial plan:
- Name: enter any display name
- Extension length (digits): 11
- Dial plan type: SIP URI
- Audio language: English (United States)
- Country/Region code: 1
- Click Save to save the Dial Plan
- Highlight the Dial Plan you just create and edit it
- Highlight the UM Mailbox Policy that was automatically created and edit it
- Click on PIN policies in the navigation pane on the left
- Make the following changes to the PIN policy:
- Minimum PIN length (digits): 4
- Allow Common PIN patterns: select this checkbox
- Enforce PIN lifetime (days): deselect this checkbox
- Number of sign-in failures before PIN reset: deselect this checkbox
- Number of sign-in failures before lockout: deselect this checkbox
Your configuration should now look like the screenshot below.
11. Click Save to save the UM Mailbox Policy and return to the UM Dial Plan page
12. Near the top of the screen, click the large Configure button
13. In the navigation pane on the left, click Outlook Voice Access
14. Under E.164 routing numbers for your SIP server, type +1XXXXXXXXXX and click the plus sign
15. Under Outlook Voice Access numbers, type 1XXXXXXXXXX and click the plus sign
16. Make the following changes to dialing authorization
- Calls in the same UM dial plan: select this checkbox
- Calls to any extension: deselect this checkbox
- Your configuration should now look like the screenshot below
17. Click Save to save the Dial Plan Configuration and return to the UM Dial Plan page.
18. Under UM Auto Attendants, click the + sign to create a new Auto Attendant
19. Enter the following information to configure the Auto Attendant:
- Name: Enter any display name
- Create this auto attendant as enabled: select this checkbox
- Set the auto attendant to respond to voice commands: select this checkbox
- Access Number: enter +1XXXXXXXXXX and click the + sign
20. Click Save to save the Auto Attendant and return to the UM Dial Plan page.
21. Click Close to close the UM Dial Plan page