Exchange online has a resource mailbox available for conference rooms. A resource mailbox is able to accept meeting invites automatically as long as there are no scheduling conflicts. If the conference room has a Skype for Business compatible phone, the device may require access to OWA to manage bookings. This article covers the process to configure an OWA enabled resource mailbox.
- Skype for Business account with Enterprise Voice
- Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
- Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistance
- Exchange administrator credentials.
- Open the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell (As Administrator)
- Run the following command to enable scripts.
- Press Y
- Run the following command Replacing the highlighted portion with admin credentials
$credential = Get-Credential firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect-MsolService -credential $credential
$exchSession = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $credential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $exchSession -DisableNameChecking
- To validate a successful connection to the services run the following basic commandlets to verify AD and Exchange. Replacing the highlighted portion with user account
Get-MsolUser –UserPrincipalName email@example.com
Create Exchange Room Mailbox
- Using the same PowerShell session as established in the previous section, Replace the text in green with the desired details for the new meeting room.
New-Mailbox –MicrosoftOnlineServicesID $newUser -Name "Conference Room" -Room -RoomMailboxPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString –String "Password" -AsPlainText -Force) -EnableRoomMailboxAccount $true
Note: It may take several seconds for this cmdlet to return any results and may also even report a replication request failure. This is normal as it can take up to 15 minutes before the mailbox provisioning is completed in Exchange Online. There is no need to wait to complete the rest of the Exchange Online configuration steps.
- Run the next command to modify the default behaviors of a standard resource mailbox
Set-CalendarProcessing -Identity $newUser -AutomateProcessing AutoAccept -AddOrganizerToSubject $false -RemovePrivateProperty $false -DeleteComments $false -DeleteSubject $false –AddAdditionalResponse $true –AdditionalResponse "Your meeting is now scheduled and if it was enabled as a Skype Meeting will provide a seamless click-to-join experience from the conference room."
Note: The next step is optional. By default, as with any AD account, the password defined previously will automatically expire based on the account’s inherited password policy. To set the new account’s password to never expire simply run the below command.
Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName $newUser -PasswordNeverExpires $true
Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName $newUser |fl userp*, passwordN*